Almond Energy Bars
• 1 ½ cups pitted Medjool Dates
• 1/3 cup unsweetened cacao powder
• 1 cup almond meal
• ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
• ¼ cup coconut oil
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 1 cup raw almonds or other nuts
• Zest from 1 orange
• sprinkle of sea salt
• 1 scoop green superfood powder (optional)
Puree dates in food processor until a thick paste forms. Add cacao powder, almond meal, dried coconut, coconut oil, orange peel, vanilla extract, sea salt, and green powder (if using). Process until all ingredients are well combined. Add the almonds and process again until the almonds are well chopped but still chunky, and well incorporated into the mixture.
Spread large sheet of wax paper on work surface. Transfer date mixture to wax paper, and press mixture into 1/2 –inch thick rectangle. If desired, you can even out the edges by trimming with a knife. Wrap tightly in wax paper, and chill several hours or overnight.
Unwrap block, and cut into bars of desired size. Refrigerate leftovers in an air-tight container.