Avocado Chicken Tortilla Soup
I had never thought of blending avocados into my soup base until running across this delicious and warming recipe! Omit the chicken for 2-4 cups chickpeas and the chicken broth for veggie broth to make this soup vegan. Adding chopped up roasted green chilies to this recipe will take it to the next level with flavor =)
1 lb organic boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, chopped into pieces
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 cup chopped green onions
1 jalapeño, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
32 oz carton low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp ground roasted cumin
1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 large avocados, pits removed, scooped out of the shell
1 Roma tomato, diced (or you could top with salsa)
Tortilla chips, monterey jack cheese, sour cream for serving (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat.
2. Add the onions, jalapeño and garlic. Saute about 2 minutes until the onion has started to soften.
3. Add in the chicken breasts, cumin, and chicken broth. Let simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 10-15 minutes (it depends on how thick the pieces of chicken were).
4. Remove the chicken from the pot, then shred it into smaller pieces when it has cooled enough to handle.
5. In a glass blender jar, puree the cilantro, lime juice and 1 ½ of the avocados with a portion of the broth until creamy. Add the rest of the broth and pulse a few times to combine. VERY IMPORTANT:REMOVE THE STOPPER FROM THE BLENDER LID AND COVER THE LID WITH A KITCHEN TOWEL AND HOLD IT DOWN FIRMLY. IF YOU LEAVE THE STOPPER IN AND THE LIQUID IS TOO HOT, PRESSURE CAN BUILD UP AND THE CONTENTS OF THE BLENDER COULD BLOW THE LID OFF AND COVER YOU AND YOUR KITCHEN IN HOT SOUP. Alternatively, if you have an immersion blender, you could blend the avocado into the broth inside the pot while adding the cilantro and lime juice.
6. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper (I added 1/2 tsp sea salt but add more if you use reduced-sodium broth). Add the broth back to the pot if you used a regular blender.
7. Stir in the chicken.
8.Garnish with the remaining 1/2 of chopped avocado, tortilla chips, cheese, salsa or fresh tomato, additional chile, etc etc.