Easy Indian Chicken Vindaloo
Chicken Vindaloo is a dish that needs no introduction. A famous, often fiery, red curry from Goa, vindaloo has made a name for itself in the world of cookbooks. Like the beautiful land of Goa, it is calm and inviting on the surface but oozing with depths of flavor and spices. You can’t rush Vindaloo… it takes time, patience and a little effort but it is worth it’s weight in gold =)
Organic boneless skinless chicken thighs – 2.5 lb cut into bite size pcs.
Hot paprika – 2 tsp + 2 tsp
Organic potatoes – 2 medium, washed & cubed
Raw coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar – 2 tbsp
Small Dry Red Chillies – 12 or to taste
Raw coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar– 1/4 cup (4 tbsp)
Peppercorns – 15 or to taste
Cinnamon Sticks – 2″ piece
Ginger – approx. 2 tbsp, minced
Filtered water – 2-4 tbsp for grinding
1. Soak dry red chillies in 1/4 cup coconut vinegar for 30 minutes.
2. Pour into blender, along with cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, ginger, garlic, hot paprika, cumin seeds and turmeric powder.
3. Grind into smooth paste, use 2-4 tbsp water if needed to help grind.
4. Prep chicken by cutting to bite-size pieces, wash and pat dry with paper-towel.
5. Mix the marinade into the chicken, add sea salt, cover. Allow to marinade in refrigerator for minimum 2 hours (overnight if possible).
6. In same grinder, blend onions into fine paste and mix into marinated chicken.
7. In large pan, heat butter on medium heat.
8. Once hot, add additional peppercorns and cloves.
9. Once they start sizzling, add in chicken. Mix and allow chicken to change color (approx 10 min).
10. Add in potatoes, hot paprika, water and vinegar.
11. Mix, lower heat to a medium-low flame, cover and cook for approx. an hour. Stir intermittently.
12. After an hour, check on the potatoes, they should be cooked. Check on your salt and spices and adjust if needed.
13. Remove from flame stove and serve over hot brown rice or quinoa or with naan bread.
Here is the Youtube video I adapted this recipe from
1. Vindaloo tastes even better the next day, it gives the spices to marinate the Chicken further.
2. You can substitute the chicken for chickpeas in this recipe.