Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde
The slow cooker does all of the work! Serve with organic corn or whole wheat tortillas, spanish quinoa or rice, and beans for a tasty meal!
2 lbs tomatillos husked, washed and dried, and cut in half
10 medium Anaheim peppers, cut in half, seeds removed
1 jalapeño pepper
1 cup diced onion
4 garlic cloves
2 cups roughly chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 lbs boneless skinless organic chicken breast
Organic corn or whole wheat tortillas, beans, and spanish quinoa or rice for serving, optional
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place tomatillos and Anaheim peppers on two large baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Roast until tomatillos are golden brown about 5-7 minutes, and until peppers are charred.
2. Place peppers in a brown paper bag to sweat for about ten minutes. Remove the peppers from the bag and peel.
3. In a blender or food processor, combine 6 peppers (12 pepper halves), tomatillos, jalapeños, onion, garlic, cilantro, cumin, paprika, lime zest and juice, coconut sugar, and sea salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth.
4. Dice the remaining Anaheim peppers. Pour salsa verde, chicken broth, diced Anaheim peppers, and whole chicken breasts into the slow cooker. Add sea salt and pepper.
5. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours or untill chicken is at least 165 degrees in center of meat.
6. Once chicken is cooked using a slotted spoon remove chunks of chicken to a cutting board and shred and return to crock pot with chile verde sauce. Season with sea salt and pepper, to taste. Serve warm with tortillas, beans, and rice.